Orsa Novus Aevum : Dawn of the New Age
We have a new forum! Go to http://www.orsanovusaevum.com/ and register!
We have a new forum! Go to http://www.orsanovusaevum.com/ and register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Warfare Is Based On Deception - Sun Tzu

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Squid mobtraps.

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
obolisk0430
Second Lieutenant
obolisk0430

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 3:45 pm

Can they be built? Discus!
Back to top Go down

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptySat Jan 15, 2011 4:51 pm

I believe that they could be.

I'm currently making a marine research center in my base in single player, i'm investigating the science behind how they spawn.

Once that's sorted, then I'm guessing having their spawn, then have currents nearby - in deeper water - because they seem to love to go downwards more than up. Current pushes them into lava, the only problem I see is with the fact they would be one block high.
A pure gravity trap? Or careful lava placement.

Once I've found out how they spawn I'll look into good designs.

Seeing as I'm hoping to do marine biology at uni i'm pretty exited that I can do this research Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Jalygtra
Major
Jalygtra

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptyTue Feb 01, 2011 3:51 pm

Trapping them is actually quite easy.

You simply need to place lots of stairs or steps in a large underwater area and wait for a squid to swim into it.
The air pocket will trap them and freeze them in place until the stair/step is removed.
(I noticed that some of them die if you place too many stairs/steps too close to each other, due to the fact that they suffocate)
Back to top Go down

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 3:28 pm

Personally i don't see a reason for trapping then... black dye? Id rather find a black sheep...

Although, loot aside i would like to give this a go.. Jeroxy any info on spawns would help a lot.
Back to top Go down

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptyWed Feb 02, 2011 6:54 pm

The spawn conditions for squid are easy to meet.
But utterly evil and annoying.
If you have even one block of water going into a current on all sides, a squid can still spawn there.
The odds of it happening however, are very very low.

Also, as they prefer to spawn in 3's, it MAY be more likely to spawn when there's at least 3, 1x2 water sources. But the utter randomness of the spawning means I have no reliable idea.

Also I've found that they can go against a current if they're facing the right way. Currents don't stop them much.
So... BRB with quick sketch of a possible trap.

Ok, so here's the design.
Squid mobtraps. Squidtrap
However. It's so impractical it's not worth it. A quick boat ride would yeild far greater results.

So I banish this idea till squids get a proper spawning xD
Back to top Go down
obolisk0430
Second Lieutenant
obolisk0430

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptyThu Feb 03, 2011 10:29 pm

The point is to say we can. Also, like the use of signs, kind of what i figured you would use.
Back to top Go down

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. EmptyFri Feb 04, 2011 12:27 pm

Well then yeas, they can be built.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Squid mobtraps. Empty
PostSubject: Re: Squid mobtraps.   Squid mobtraps. Empty

Back to top Go down

Squid mobtraps.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orsa Novus Aevum : Dawn of the New Age :: Minecraft Scientific Foundation [Public] :: Research-
Jump to: