Orsa Novus Aevum : Dawn of the New Age
We have a new forum! Go to http://www.orsanovusaevum.com/ and register!
We have a new forum! Go to http://www.orsanovusaevum.com/ and register!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

All Warfare Is Based On Deception - Sun Tzu

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Old times...

Go down 
+7
Stonards
CrazyLemon64
Pancakelover
obolisk0430
iBuX
DMPuffy
Oculus in Tenebris
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Oculus in Tenebris
First Lieutenant
Oculus in Tenebris

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 4:38 pm

Old times... 2011-014

Say this picture is you, in a forest, on a server. Study it and tell me what you see.
Back to top Go down
DMPuffy
First Lieutenant
DMPuffy

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:26 pm

um

trees
Back to top Go down
Oculus in Tenebris
First Lieutenant
Oculus in Tenebris

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:43 pm

DMPuffy wrote:
um

trees

Nope, you are, in fact, in mortal danger. But from what?
Back to top Go down
iBuX
International Man of Mystery
iBuX

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 6:53 pm

What a tiny picture...
Back to top Go down
obolisk0430
Second Lieutenant
obolisk0430

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:02 pm

I see a hole near the bottem. Enemy base?
Back to top Go down
Oculus in Tenebris
First Lieutenant
Oculus in Tenebris

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Up on the hill is, in fact, a variant of my Camoflauge Cannon. Remember back when I just started, I posted all the stupid cannon research, but only one of the ideas was good? Well, here, much later, I'm still working on it. I really think we should start incorporating this design into our normal cannons. It could allow us to set traps, ambushes, hidden defense structures, clandestine sieges, the works. The fundamental idea is not to improve the cannon in range, power or design. Its to allow it to get the first 3-4 shots off. And that could be monumental in a battle.

Oh, and iBuX, I apologize if the picture is too small.

Old times... 2011-015
Back to top Go down
Pancakelover
Major
Pancakelover

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 7:46 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble Oculus but we don't really use cannons in PVP. PVP in minecraft goes a little more like this.

Old times... 2r7ollf
(Yes IBuX. I just wasted 5 minutes of my life to do that. But it's worth it, because I said so in chat Wink )

Still. This thread looks promising and I hope to see more out of it!
Back to top Go down
CrazyLemon64
Captain
CrazyLemon64

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:34 pm

Mortal danger? I'd run when I heard the first explosion. Cannons are NOISY, and inaccurate.
Back to top Go down
Oculus in Tenebris
First Lieutenant
Oculus in Tenebris

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:36 pm

CrazyLemon64 wrote:
Mortal danger? I'd run when I heard the first explosion. Cannons are NOISY, and inaccurate.

Yes, but we aren't idiots, like our enemies are Razz

And yeah Pancake, I gathered as much Very Happy
Back to top Go down
CrazyLemon64
Captain
CrazyLemon64

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 8:45 pm

Oculus in Tenebris wrote:
CrazyLemon64 wrote:

Actually, this would be nifty for "Stealth sieges", in which we'd set these cannons up around the enemy base, and suddenly strike when we feel like it. However, as Pancakelover showed us, ONA fighting mainly consists of rushing in and stabbing, mitigating the requirement for cannons.
Back to top Go down
DMPuffy
First Lieutenant
DMPuffy

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 9:05 pm

CrazyLemon64 wrote:
CrazyLemon64 wrote:

Actually, this would be nifty for "Stealth sieges", in which we'd set these cannons up around the enemy base, and suddenly strike when we feel like it. However, as Pancakelover showed us, ONA fighting mainly consists of rushing in and stabbing, mitigating the requirement for cannons.

I agree with crazy, the run and gun approach usually works. However, it comes along with several casualties and this could be avoided if we tried a different strategy every once in a while.

For example, that raid on KoH might have gone a little better if we had afew engineers to set up cannons which fire upon the entrance to the base. This makes it easier for our assault team to run in (through the newly made doorway) and run and gun from there. It might not even be for the advantage it will provide, but to scare the living SHITT out of anyone in the base along with disorienting them. (Stonards/iBuX/Jal/whoever else will then run in and kill them before they even know what the fuck just hit them) Just hear me out on this one guys!!! I want to try it out!!!

in fact, I will volunteer to be one of those engineers firing on our enemy's base. I have the basic cannon design down and can do it in about 30 seconds at best. Lets try it out next time maybzz
Back to top Go down
Stonards
Major
Stonards

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 10:58 pm

Honestly, the entire thing could have had ZERO casualties if we instead of rushing in, actually tunneled above them and dropped in and executed them swiftly.
Back to top Go down
DMPuffy
First Lieutenant
DMPuffy

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:06 pm

That is true, i just suggested that we use cannons next time as we NEVER use them for anythng anyway
Back to top Go down
Valerius Maximus
Glorious Leader
Valerius Maximus

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:47 pm

In my opinion, cannons are only useful for hitting buildings, not people. But, I like these kinds of threads, so keep them coming XD.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artofwar.darkbb.com
Oculus in Tenebris
First Lieutenant
Oculus in Tenebris

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyTue Jun 14, 2011 11:55 pm

Valerius Maximus wrote:
In my opinion, cannons are only useful for hitting buildings, not people. But, I like these kinds of threads, so keep them coming XD.

Sarcasm, sir?
Back to top Go down
Valerius Maximus
Glorious Leader
Valerius Maximus

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyWed Jun 15, 2011 12:40 am

Valerius Maximus wrote:

Sarcasm, sir?

Nope, everything I said was sincere.

I like these kind of "Quiz" threads.
Back to top Go down
http://www.artofwar.darkbb.com
Hans Lemurson
Second Lieutenant
Hans Lemurson

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 3:46 am

The purpose of artillery is to neutralize fortifications that would be too costly to breach in a direct assault. In minecraft, such fortifications really don't exist, given how quickly you can tunnel through solid rock, so the actual utility of cannons is questionable.

However, much of warfare involves the psychological manipulation of your enemy, and TNT cannons have a great reputation as the "destroyer of castles". Shelling an enemy base might draw them out in a panic to engage our forces on open ground rather than our forces having to engage them in the narrow confusing passages of an unfamiliar base.

Still, doing this costs you the element of surprise and depends on the enemy making a tactical blunder. While it is always good to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes, it is a bad idea to rely on them making one. I can't really see a situation where a cannon-assault will be superior to a sneak attack.

Cannons are "Prestige Weapons" useful only for destroying "Prestige Buildings".
Back to top Go down
Sonicfan315
Second Lieutenant
Sonicfan315

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 8:17 am

Hans Lemurson wrote:
The purpose of artillery is to neutralize fortifications that would be too costly to breach in a direct assault. In minecraft, such fortifications really don't exist, given how quickly you can tunnel through solid rock, so the actual utility of cannons is questionable.

However, much of warfare involves the psychological manipulation of your enemy, and TNT cannons have a great reputation as the "destroyer of castles". Shelling an enemy base might draw them out in a panic to engage our forces on open ground rather than our forces having to engage them in the narrow confusing passages of an unfamiliar base.

Still, doing this costs you the element of surprise and depends on the enemy making a tactical blunder. While it is always good to take advantage of your opponent's mistakes, it is a bad idea to rely on them making one. I can't really see a situation where a cannon-assault will be superior to a sneak attack.

Cannons are "Prestige Weapons" useful only for destroying "Prestige Buildings".

Actually Hans we have seen walls that we cannot directly dig through and even made them at one point, Remember the PAOW Giant Flaming Doom Tower. As it is from what I have seen Ether and the others set up we could create a cannon that fires far enough away that they would not be able to see it coming. Essentially sending in troops as the cannonn fires to storm in as the wall is broken down. There are designs for aimable cannons as well as other ways to tweak it so it would work. Yes the psychological aspect is a bonus but there are uses for a cannon in an assault for other than merely causing the enemy to go into a panic.
Back to top Go down
iBuX
International Man of Mystery
iBuX

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyThu Jun 16, 2011 9:25 am

DMPuffy wrote:

I agree with crazy, the run and gun approach usually works. However, it comes along with several casualties and this could be avoided if we tried a different strategy every once in a while.

For example, that raid on KoH might have gone a little better if we had afew engineers to set up cannons which fire upon the entrance to the base. This makes it easier for our assault team to run in (through the newly made doorway) and run and gun from there. It might not even be for the advantage it will provide, but to scare the living SHITT out of anyone in the base along with disorienting them. (Stonards/iBuX/Jal/whoever else will then run in and kill them before they even know what the fuck just hit them) Just hear me out on this one guys!!! I want to try it out!!!

in fact, I will volunteer to be one of those engineers firing on our enemy's base. I have the basic cannon design down and can do it in about 30 seconds at best. Lets try it out next time maybzz

The raid on KoH would have been 100% successful if you guys would have told me how close you actually was. I had no time to even prepare for an ambush.
But we won in the end... I guess that is what matters. Though with unnecessary causalities
Back to top Go down
Rawr_Dry
Private
Rawr_Dry

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 4:08 pm

agreed with val there.. it would be nice with more "study-picture" threads Wink and then discuss afterwards Smile
Back to top Go down
obolisk0430
Second Lieutenant
obolisk0430

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... EmptyFri Jun 17, 2011 11:16 pm

I like it too. It's a good idea to make sure we are aware of what's going on around us.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Old times... Empty
PostSubject: Re: Old times...   Old times... Empty

Back to top Go down

Old times...
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Orsa Novus Aevum : Dawn of the New Age :: Minecraft Scientific Foundation [Public] :: Research-
Jump to: